Supplementing C rich foods with ascorbate

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

llmercll
Contributor
Contributor

Supplementing C rich foods with ascorbate

Post Number:#1  Post by llmercll » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here supplements alongside with say, eating an orange, kiwi, or red pepper. Basically any C rich food. It's intuitive to believe that taking C alongside a naturally rich C food may increase its absorption, making it somewhat more similar to a "complex".

What do you think?

Thanks!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Supplementing C rich foods with ascorbate

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 am

In my opinion, the "complex" exists in foods to preserve the reduced vitamin C which is otherwise subject to break down.

From the research I have read, if you want to get the most out of the vitamin C you eat, and there isn't enough in foods to be useful (compared to what animals can make for themselves) -- ergo, you must supplement -- you should not eat vitamin C with carbohydrates (as carbs make VC breakdown in the gut). On the other hand, one should eat vitamin C with protein (e.g. amino acids) because the aminos "chelates" the C - protecting it in the gut, and making more VC enter the blood stream intact. (Ref. Sherry Lewin, Vitamin C: Its Biology and Medical Potential, 1976)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”