Pure Ascorbic Acid won't cure scurvy?

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

Olav23

Pure Ascorbic Acid won't cure scurvy?

Post Number:#1  Post by Olav23 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi, i have been perusing the net and was reading some info regarding "natural vitamin C products". Many sites that sell these point out that:

It is interesting to note that Scurvy, a severe vitamin C deficiency, cannot be reversed with ascorbic acid but can be reversed with paprika or a natural food source vitamin C complex. Szent-Gyorgi, the original discoverer of ascorbic acid, found that it would not cure scurvy; only the natural complex can do that. Isolated ascorbic acid is made from corn sugar (glucose), and it is a naked substance devoid of all the cofactors. The reason ascorbic acid masquerades as vitamin C is for commercial reasons. It is profitable.

Now, of course the ironic thing is that these natural C products are MUCH more expensive than pure AA, so I've taken this with a grain of salt.

Does anyone know if the scurvy statement is true, or where the study is that created that controversy?

DonHarry

Re: Pure Ascorbic Acid won't cure scurvy?

Post Number:#2  Post by DonHarry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Absolutely false. Profitability haha, ascorbic acid is ridiculously cheap. The only benefit the complex has over regular AA is that it is slghtly better absorbed. You can imagine the difficulty then of having to injest vast quantities of the complex, the expense would be astronomical. It is the ascorbate ion (Present in all forms of ascorbate) that has the curative effect, so regular AA or sodium ascorbate, or any other forms of ascorbate for that matter will all work. :)

*Edit*
This should help: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/NaturalC.pdf

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Pure Ascorbic Acid won't cure scurvy?

Post Number:#3  Post by DanSco » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:24 am

Absolutely false.
The only reason Vitamin C is a vitamin at all is because humans do not synthesize it in their liver. Over 99% of earths species of animals do not get scurvy because they do make ascorbic acid in their livers. They do not synthesize bioflavonoids or any of those so-called 'C-complex' molecules.
-DanSco

Note: I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. Do not duplicate what I do without a pat on the head from your doctor and a note from your mommy.

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”